While there are many undeniable benefits of plastic as a material, notably their durability and low production cost, they have become a global threat to our ecosystems. Only 29% of used plastics are being collected, while the remaining 71% are instead released into the environment. These waste plastics undergo erosion and fracture into ever smaller particles, contaminating our waterways and ecosystems. These particles are largely unmonitored, therefore the extent of microplastic pollution is still poorly understood.
Particuleye Technologies develops systems to automate the process of microplastic analysis in water streams and water bodies. We leverage innovative technologies such as computer vision and machine learning to make the counting and identification of microplastics fast, easy, accurate, and cost-efficient.
Our flagship product is an embedded system that uses modern low-cost hardware and utilizes the latest advances in machine learning technology to analyse micropalstics within water samples, allowing for streamlined microplastic analyses by the press of a button. This helps researchers and governments better understand the extent of microplastic pollution, inform policies, and ultimately lead to the removal of contaminants from the hydrosphere.
We began our journey as a team of enthusiastic students with a common goal of helping in the fight against plastic pollution in our waterways. With our diverse backgrounds and respective expertise, we were certain we could develop technologies to contribute to a healthy and clean environment.
We entered in the AquaHacking challenge in February and spent the next 8 months developing a prototype, meeting with industry professionals and researchers to better understand the issue, and preparing for the competition finals. We are humbled to have placed 1st in the competition, and are working to utilize the seed funds to bring our technology to market and into researchers' hands!
We are proud to be working with North Forge to help bring our product to market, as well as Mitacs eAccelerate to fund our research. We are continuously forming connections with industry leaders and researchers to help guide the development of our products.